March 16, 2020
Dear Fisher-Mitchell Families,
RSU 1 and Fisher-Mitchell are committed to an environment and experience that keeps the safety, health, and well-being of our students and staff at the forefront of what we do. To that end, we have formulated the plan below for this extended school closure. Per the guidance of the Maine Department of Education, school days missed will not be required to be made-up. However, we realize that an extended school closure will have a significant impact on students and their families. Below are the academic recommendations for Fisher-Mitchell students:
- Students read (or are read to) for a total of at least an hour a day for English Language Arts class. For younger students, this can be broken up into smaller chunks throughout the day, if needed.
- Students with computer access complete an hour of Math practice by clicking this LINK (or your child can access this math on your school’s RSU 1 website under “Parent Resources”).
- Students check Google Classroom and their school email for enrichment opportunities provided by classroom teachers, should they be sent. This is not a requirement, but some teachers may have supplementary activities they want to share to encourage further learning (not applicable for grades PK-2).
- Students complete any take-home packets they have been given by teachers, if applicable
- Students are encouraged to get up and move (go outside and take a walk, do a GoNoodle [gonoodle.com] on their own, etc.) to keep up their physical activity daily, if possible.
This work is only recommended as a way for students to keep engaged with school and lessons while we wait for school to start up again. While students are home, RSU 1 staff will be checking in throughout the time off to see how students are doing.
Please remember that children do best with continuity and routine. We will keep you informed of our plans as they further develop.